April 17, 2009

Reminders

So why is it that these hard times and these trials come? Since yesterday I have been asking myself that question. Well, it is not so much why they come because I can feel that. Without them I would not be in the place that I am now. I would not be this in love with Christ, I would not be learning to love him, to center my life around him, I would not be humbled. My question is more a matter of why do they keep coming? It can be frustrating to think that when you finally get see the light at the end of the tunnel and you are coming out, you know that eventually there is going to be another tunnel ahead. Does that bother anyone else? It is not so much bothersome as it is scary. What if through one of those hard times I really jump off the deep end and turn away indefinitely? Well fear no more! Each of these trials that we go through ultimately strengthens us, giving us a deeper love and a deeper understanding of Christ and who He is. The more I learn, the more I want to be close to Him, to never leave His side. And as these feelings get stronger and stronger, it makes the hard times easier to handle. So with each struggle that you go through, give thanks! You have made it this far, there will be an end. The Father is not going to put more on your plate than you can chew.

This afternoon I was reading my Bible, and as I read John chapter 2 something seemed to jump out at me. Verse 11 (after Jesus changed the water into wine) says:
"This, the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed at Cana in Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him."
Then verses 19-22 say:
"Jesus answered them, 'Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.' The Jews replied, 'It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?' But the temple he had spoken of was his body. After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the Scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken."
So where am I going with this? Both of these verses caught my attention, because it was after each of these significant events that the Bible proclaims that the disciples believed that Jesus was the Son of God. Did they not believe Him when He first called them to be His disciples? Or when He performed many miracles right in front of their eyes? Did it really take them until Jesus rose from the dead 3 days after His death before they figured out, yes this guy is legit!? My initial reaction was frustration towards the disciples. I mean they actually with their own eyes saw these miracles and heard Jesus' teachings! How much better could they have had it? But then it hit me. Jesus is working right in front of me too. Right in front of my very eyes I can see all that He is doing yet I choose to deny Him just as much, if not more than the disciples did. Just because Jesus was physically present with them does not mean that it was easier for them to follow Him. The Spirit is working in my life each and every day, but how often do I take that for granted? How often do I deny Him? Luckily He keeps on working on us, He never gives up! While He was here Jesus performed miracle after miracle, He proclaimed who He was time and time again in hopes that we eventually we would get it! He does not give up. So each time the disciples 'believed' was almost a renewing of their faith. Nothing like a swift kick in the behind to remind them that they are serving God the Father, Jesus Christ, the One and Only! Praise God for His persistence and His willingness to work with us, for He never gives up.

1 comment:

Becca said...

That is a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing Alex! I love you so much. I agree that the hard times are overwhelming and it seems frustrating that they keep coming, but heaven is coming too!