April 26, 2009

The Death of Chivalry

This entire year I have felt that once I think things are going well and I have finally figured things out, on comes another attack. Well, this time it is not so much anger or sadness as it is gratitude. Let me begin by saying that God is good. He has ways of timing things perfectly. Despite how painful it may seem at the time, you eventually realize that there is an overarching purpose. On that note, I still don't think that justifies the actions of some people. I don't like being lied to or when my emotions are messed with. We girls are emotional, confusing, moody, and a number of other things, but we still deserve to be treated with respect. I think some guys think they can just have their way with us and then just jump off of the train whenever they want to. Throughout the Bible men are called to be leaders and to treat women with respect. In our generation that sense of respect, leadership, and chivalry are lost, even among many of our Christian guys. The verses I am going to post here have a lot to do with marriage, so bear with me. Even as friends and brothers in Christ I believe that guys are called to treat girls in such a way.

"A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value." -Proverbs 31:10-11

"Husbands love your wives, just as Christ love the church and have himself up for her." -Ephesians 5:22

"Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers."
-1 Peter 3: 7

When girls are not treated in such a way I slowly begin to lose hope. Don't get me wrong I know there are many guys out there who do just as the Bible calls them to, there are just many more who don't. Right now I have never been more thankful for my friends on the racquetball team, especially the guys who really do look out for all of us girls. It is funny that their insight to our guy problems is usually spot on. They know when someone is truly a gentleman and when they are a complete tool. Unfortunately we don't always listen to them, but they are there for us a couple of months down the road when our hearts are in pieces.

Despite the situation I am trying to pull out the best in people, so maybe sometimes they just loose their way and ending up hurting people without even realizing it. This past month has all began to crash down upon me. I know that I am also to blame for a lot that has happened, but I also know that I have already been forgiven. I have not asked to get continually slapped in the face but that is what I feel like is happening. After this month I think I am going to have some serious commitment issues. Not only will I not be able to trust myself but now I am going to have a hard time trusting guys. Well, I can think of one that I still have confidence in.


On that note, lets talk about some of the happy things that happened this weekend! I went to McConnell's Mill yesterday afternoon with a bunch of girls on my hall. It did not end so well, for reasons stated above, but it began excellent! We explored a bunch of caves, did some hiking, packed lunch, and walked by the creek. I took this awesome picture of Julie with there cool flowers that we found. I love taking pictures and capturing memories! I am thinking about asking for a nice camera for my birthday this year. Then yesterday evening I went out to Pittsburgh with a few of us girls and went to Dave & Busters. Last night I found out more concerning this whole situation which was just icing on the cake, but despite that it was fun to have the girls to talk to about it. I think we learned a lot about people not always being who we think they are. Today is a beautiful day! I am not feeling so hot though and my stomach has been bothering me since last night, but that could just be stress. I am hoping to get outside for a little tennis at some point. I should probably end this here and get some work done now. Hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy the beautiful day ahead of us!

2 comments:

SpokLocal1974 said...

Enjoy the warm weather. And keep on bragging about it, people living in the snow really appreciate it

Julie said...

ahh, i look frickin awesome in that picture.
haha. :]

eventually you'll be the right guy...God just hasn't sent him yet.
:]