December 12, 2007

A Brief Synapsis

I think it's just finals week that has everyone so down. Not necessarily the weather. Although, yesterdays weather could account for some downtrodden people. Today however, it is sunny and rather nice outside. I just found out that starting Friday, the next 4 days of my life will be spent in 24 hour quiet hour. That means you have to be quiet in the hall, basically you must act like it's night time all the time. So sad.

Finals are approaching rather quickly and I can think of about 1,000 things that I would rather be doing other than studying. I think I am going to die. Or fail. Either or. I have found so far that college, at least not this one, is all that it is cracked up to be. "It will be the best years of your life!" they say. Well so far mine have been fun, there is no denying that, but I find it hard to imagine that when I come to the end of my life I will look back at this place and think..."Wow, Grove City College. I wish I could do it all over again!" To me, being surrounded by hundreds of people all as dedicated and focused as yourself is rather intimidating. All other hobbies or anything fun that you once participated in seem like a thing of the long past. The days are now spent studying, eating, sleeping, and working out. And of course, on occasion watching a movie or a little Grey's. I think Grey's just keeps me sane, and lets me see that after this life will get harder, but at least it will be a little more interesting.

Right now, I don't care about The Middle Ages. I don't care about Russel Kirk and the founding of America. I don't care about the great philosophers such as Hume, Burk, and Montesquieu who ultimately laid down this countries framwork. Plato, Aristotle, and Socrates...They were in the past. To some people, this may all seem interesing. Knowing random facts and trying to study these things that you will never actually know everything about is not really my thing. Give me a Chemistry or Biology book...And maybe I'll be a little more intrigued. Give me a book on the human body and I am hooked. Thats just me, it always has been and always will be.

Sorry this post is such a downer. I just needed to get it all out I suppose. But for now I guess it's time I go do something productive. Like play racquetball. Then I will venture out in search of a place to pour over pages and pages of notes and textbooks for the next 4 days. What about sleep, you ask? Who needs it. If I just keep looking at the light at the end of the tunnel I think I can make it through. 5 more days and I am free!

No comments: