May 8, 2009

Something to Get Excited About

I just spewed forth a fountain of Biological knowledge and it felt so good! I can't say that I have ever felt so good walking out of a final before. I was not completely confident in all of my answers for the multiple choice, but the three essay questions just got owned. It was just like "here Doc let me pour out my knowledge upon you." Bam. Bam. Bam. God is good! Without Him there is no way that I would be getting through this week the way that I am. Unfortunately I have succumbed to the power of Dr. Dent and her Genetics examinations. There is little to no hope for that class, so instead of wasting time studying for a 30 I have decided to focus on Organic which I can experience success. Tomorrow night is going to be bliss. Last night of partying it up at Trish's house with the seniors and racquetball crew. It will be sad, but guaranteed to be an unforgetable night.

How I am getting any studying done this week is beyond me. I have been living in Becca and Gretchen's room with the estrogen levels at an all time high. Everyone in that room has shed tears almost every single day. It is a dramatic room in which someone always has some sort of dilemma. It's a wonder that any work ever gets done, really. But I love it. The experiences and the many laughs and talks that I have had in that room have really made college complete. That is what it is all about. While grades are important, I think that developing friendships and relationships are greater by far.

I received some good news this week that I got a job working at Camp-of-the-Woods in the Adirondacks this summer! I don't leave until June 20th which is good because that means I get an entire month off from school before starting to work. I don't think this job is going to be much like work though. I am going to be a part of their recreation staff, meaning I get to plan activities and sports for the kids that come there. I am not going to be your typical counselor because this is more of a family camp. So I am just going to be living with another staff member, spending my days playing sports with kids. I could not have asked for a better job! There is no doubt in my mind that God was at work here. I had no idea what I was going to be doing this summer until I found out about this camp online. The next day I walked into the Student Union and there was guy there with a table set up trying to recruit college kids to work there for the summer. I talked to him, he turned out to be from Buffalo, turned in my application and now I have a job. I have never been so sure that right now I am in the right place, where God is calling me to be.

There are so many times when things are uncertain but I am learning that if I cling to God, He will not abandon me. He is going to make sure that I get where I am supposed to be going even if he literally has to drag me there. I think we all forget that too often. I mean every day I have moments that I wonder if I am really in the right place. You just need to be confident that you are. Trust in the Lord, because as long as you want to serve Him, as long as your heart is in the right place, He is going to be faithful. He will never disappoint you. It can be a really scary thing to give all that you have over to God. It is in our nature to want to do everything on our own. I know that right now I am struggling with discerning God's will over my own. Not so much that I want to follow my own sinful nature (I do, all the time, don't get me wrong.), but that I have trouble trusting God. How do I know for sure when something is God's will or if I am just following my own desires? One thing that I have come to understand over the years is that when God is trying to tell you something, He is not going to be subtle. Maybe at first, but usually there are ways He acts which make it unmistakably clear that this is what you should be doing. Me working at Camp-of-the-Woods for instance. Last night while I was studying Becca played the song "Voice of Truth" by Casting Crowns and told me that this song describes some of what I am struggling with right now. I knew all of the words to the song but I never really listened to them until last night:

But the waves are calling out my name
and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
time and time again
"Boy, you'll never win,
you'll never win."

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
the voice of truth says "do not be afraid!"
and the voice of truth says "this is for my glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

I love this song, of how it tells of the struggles we go through and the doubts that we have but we must always remember that Jesus trumps over any of that. We need to be confident that He is leading us in the right direction. With Him we are going to get where we need to be, even if it seems like we are aimlessly wandering sometimes. That gives me a lot of hope for the future and for what lies ahead. I don't know what is going to happen or what is in store, but I know that it is going to be extravagant. God has something planned for me, for all of us, something that we probably would never be able to dream up on our own. This makes me pretty excited. Excited not only for the future but for how God is using me and preparing me right here and now. When it comes down to it, God is someone to get pretty excited about.

"The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him."
-Exodus 15:2

No comments: