May 4, 2009

Great Expectations

As I was reading through the Gospel of John this evening I noticed a reoccurring theme in which Jesus tells his disciples,

"Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete." (John 16:24)

I read more chapters than usual today since I had some free time, so as I was reading and searching for my Wonderful Thing for the day I noticed that from chapters 13-16, Jesus really emphasizes that if we ask for anything in His name it will be given to us. I feel like I encountered this same verse at least four different times throughout those chapters. Then finally, after reading John 16:24, it hit me that maybe this is important. Jesus was really trying to drive home a point to His disciples here. So now here I sit, chewing on these words and trying to decide where Jesus was going with this. So anything we ask for in the name of Christ is going to be given to us? If I pray right now:

Lord, I really want to get an A on all of my finals this semester but I don't feel like studying for them. Any chance you could do that for me? I would really appreciate it.
In the name of Jesus Christ I pray,
Amen.

Does this mean I am going to get A's on all of my finals now? Obviously we know that we don't always get everything that we ask for when we pray for it. Although I am sure that if God wanted me to get A's on all of my finals He could do it. Wouldn't that be nice? So what in the world was Jesus talking about when he said these words?

Here is what I have seemed to uncover. When praying that silly prayer above, notice that I threw in the whole "…but I don't feel like studying for them" line. Is that what Christ has called me to do? Be lazy and not work to the best of my ability? I don't think so. It seems absurd to come before Christ and ask Him to perform such a miracle for us if we are not even going to be glorifying Him in the process. If we truly are dwelling in Christ, making His desires our desires, then what we ask for is going to be in line with what He wants to give us anyways. We are not always going to get the things that we want, but I think it's funny when we look back on our past struggles to see just how God got us through these things. We may have asked Him for one thing, only to receive something totally different. What is that all about? Well, 10 times out of 10 that something different that we get from God is better than anything we could have even thought to ask for. God has a funny way of doing that. We ask for one thing, God gives us something different, we are frustrated, and then we take a step back and just look at what God has given us and we can't help but stand in awe at how awesome He is! He knows better than we do what we want and what will bring our hearts contentment.

So really we may not always get exactly what we want but it is always what we need. It is always better that what we could have asked for. Looking back on this past year, it has been nothing like I would have expected. I came in asking and praying very different prayers than walking in. The best part is, that while this year has been tough, I think I have received greater gifts by far than what I could have thought to ask for. Sophomore year really is the toughest, no doubt about it. I have come so far, learned so much about myself and others, and I have learned even more about the Lord. He has placed people in my life this year that I will forever be grateful for. Just thinking about it now, I never in a million years would have predicted my life to be where it is right now. It almost brings me to tears because God is so faithful!

I came in Sophomore year with all of these expectations, many of which have been completely shattered. Expect the unexpected, because God is more that capable. Honestly, coming into this year I was not a fan of Grove City College, but now there is no other college that I would rather be at. I came in having a lot of acquaintances and very few close friends, my high school boyfriend, and a relationship with God that was not much a relationship at all. I am now leaving the year with the exact opposite of what I came in with. I would argue that I am friends with pretty much the greatest people on campus, and everyone else is missing out. The best part is that I have friends in a bunch of different groups, all of which are very different from one another. That is how I like to roll. Hands down though I would not have made it through this year, especially not this semester, had it not been for Becca. If that relationship right there is not a testimony to God knowing what He is doing then I don't know what is. Freshman roommates, not by choice, and now almost inseparable. God is good. And while I no longer exactly have a boyfriend, I have (and still am) learned a lot about myself in terms of relationships and commitments. Despite the fact that I am walking out of sophomore year "single" (in some weird sense of the word), I am walking out with one amazing best friend. Together we have come a long way this year. And once again God deserves all of the credit, because this is another relationship I never would have dreamed to ask for. It all seems to good to be true. If not for him I would not be where I am right now. I am starting to get a little too sappy so I am going to leave it at that. All I know is that whatever God has in store for the future, I will forever be thankful for what He has done these past 7-8 months. And the best thing that I am walking away with at the end of this year is a relationship with Jesus Christ that is stronger than it has ever been. While I mess up daily and I am in no way deserving of His love, He has my heart. My eyes are fixed and centered upon Him. This is by far the best gift of all. This makes me hopeful for the future. I feel like after this year, all that I have been through, and all that I have learned I am ready for just about anything. I am ready to take hold what God has planned for me and run with it! I was not planning on reflecting upon all of this quite yet, but I just sat down, began to type, and this is what came out. I know it is a little long, so if you actually took the time to read it all I give you credit. All I can say now is be excited! Christ is ready and waiting to bless your socks off, all you have to do is ask Him.

No comments: