May 12, 2008

God's Little Joke

Thats what this year was. Freshman year, completely not what I expected it to be. In June of last year I was extremely excited to know that Jenna Cooper and I had found each other and had formulated the plans to be roommates. Then about a month later we received an e-mail that said some girl named Rebekah Long was also going to be rooming with us, a forced triple. For all of you that don't know what that means:
Our room should be a double, but they decided to take out a single bed, throw in a bunk, add an extra dresser, desk, and closet and allow three lucky girls to call it home.
As you can imagine, it has been a crowded year. When all three of us are in the room trying to get stuff done I usually leave because I can't handle it.
Anyways, back to the story. Rebekah Long. A little disappointing at first. I spent the next month facebook stalking her and diligently reading her blog. I found out a few things that made an interesting impression:
1. She is one of 11 kids.
2. She was home schooled.
3. She wrote a post wondering why girls should ever wear pants, and it would be better if we all just wore dresses all the time.
Being the skeptic that I am, I was terrified.
So move in day for my roommates arrives. First impressions are decent I think. We all seemed to get along at first, pretty much because we had no choice. We didn't know anyone else, and all we had was each other. A few weeks go by and it didn't take Rebekah and I long to start questioning how we were going to live with this Jenna Cooper. The months passed, and everyday brought a different emotion. Sometimes we were all fine and dandy, other days we just all hated each other. I guess that happens when you live with two other people.
So, first semester came and went and now the second semester begins. Rebekah and I are getting closer and closer and Jenna just seems to do her own thing. We had some good times with that one we did. When it comes down to it I really enjoyed this year. I learned more than just Biology and Humanities, but rather many tiny life lessons. Some of them were sad, some hard, and others joyful.
I could not imagine ever having to go through this year without Rebekah. I am sure I would have survived, but I don't believe I would have learned as much as I did. We had a lot of fun laughing, crying, whispering, and talking together. Now we are ex-roommates, but next year will sill be great. I am only a hop, skip, and a step up the stairs away.
So now I am home. Sitting on my couch, rotting my brain away with a movie and playing on the computer as much as my eyes will allow. Seeing Benjamin all of the time is by far going to be the best part of being home. :] We hung out tonight and of course we will tomorrow. Tomorrow should be fun though because I got asked to come back and play t-sax with my high schools jazz ensemble for this middle school showcase thing. So Benjamin will be jammin' on trombone and me on the sax, just like the good old times.
Alright I am getting sleepy, and this post is long. Just wanted to give a recap of this year and let everyone know that I am offically home for the summer. Amen to being a sophomore.

1 comment:

Becca said...

We are just a hop skip and a stair away... yay!!!