October 23, 2010

Twice As Bold

I took my power in my hand
And went against the world;
'T was not so much as David had,
But I was twice as bold.

I aimed my pebble, but myself
Was all the one that fell.
Was it Goliath was too large,
Or only I too small?
-E. Dickinson

Poetry is taking over my life. While I haven't been writing much these days, I have been reading excessively.

I was flipping through my volume of Dickinson this afternoon and this poem jumped off the page and spoke. I love its opening lines: "I took my power in my hand / And went against the world;"

There are many meanings that can come from this poem, I don't know where to begin. I am not sure if telling you what I think really even matters - it is up to each of us to find meaning in anything. I guess I am just out to provide food for thought. I love thinking and prompting thought - deep discussions fuel me. Do they leave me exhausted and sometimes defeated? Definitely. But they also allow me to grow as a person, to open up my mind to new ideas, expand my semantic networks. Semantic networks - learned about those in psychology and I just love the idea and imagery of it all.

Our mind is a network of ideas and things learned, one that we are ever expanding and adding to. There is an endless possibility to what we can learn and our brains are never full. I love the idea of new thoughts being added and connecting to the old. - And all of these networks connecting and weaving within one another make up our very own semantic network.

I apologize for the choppiness of my writing here. It has been a while and my thoughts are scattered. I plan to continue writing - And post more of my own poems soon! Until then I'll keep putting up poems from my favorites for sustenance.

No comments: