April 28, 2010

A Room in Pieces

I struggled all day with whether or not I was going to post this one. It is pretty personal and describes a lot of where I am at right now. So read with that in mind. As always your thoughts, comments, and criticisms are much appreciated.


I live inside a room of my own

Where all the “have dones” and “am doings”

Have been held hostage.

And the answer to their question: “Who are you?”

Sings out with my accomplishments.


Successes stacked in every corner

Relationships hidden beneath a veil

Failures pushed aside

And words of affirmation

Hanging like an oversized poster


I scream to make them believe,

“This is me!”


Twenty years without spring.

Devoid of growth and renewal

The walls begin to crack and fade.

Together rust and fists destroy, and

What was once my refuge is

Now my prison.


Amidst the wreckage I kneel,

Stunned and staring at what I’ve created .

Debris and broken relationships

Litter the floor,

But there she stands


Unwavering at the door

Gazing upon my brokenness,

These ruins together we created.

Time freezes as the weight of my actions

Bear down upon her.


Options and emotions begin pouring in,

Telling her to run – but we both know

She never will.


Through pain and tears she whispers

“Be still…”

Quiet and cautious, together we sit

Watching and waiting

For comfort, for healing, for restoration.

1 comment:

LB said...

Breathtaking. I honestly didn't want this poem to end. You have a real gift of expression.