April 27, 2010

The Mask I Wear

Holy crap it has been way too long. I really don't have the time to write and post a full on blog at the moment, but I just finished this poem that I wanted to share. As an aspiring writer, I would love to hear your thoughts. If you are getting anxious because I haven't written in a while...Do not fear, finals are near! Which means that I will have a heck of a lot more time to freely write. Currently I am confined to particular subject matters, but sometimes the poetry just happens to spill out onto my notebook paper. Oops.

I think this is the first poem that I have shared with "the masses"...So hopefully it doesn't bomb. Here goes:


The alarm clock rings at 6a.m.


A limp arm reaches for silence

And slowly coming into focus,

Is another day of inner-violence.


Two feet drag across the floor

Searching for a greater force.

Any reason to make it out the door.


Into a world of meaningless hellos

Where life and death are the same,

And my hearts cry bellows.


A melancholy cry for change

Is muffled from within

Because I have made my exchange


This mask devoid of calling and passion

Highly decorated but cracked and dried

Worn because it promised life everlasting.


As time unwavering pushes onward

With obligations that must be filled

The line between slave and free, now blurred


Battling until they can rest again

Amidst the walls deemed safe

Thoughts of what could have been


Slowly fading are the muffled screams

As thoughts of life, passion, and meaning

Collide into a dream…


The alarm clock rings at 6a.m.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

"This mask devoid of calling and passion
Highly decorated but cracked and dried
Worn because it promised life everlasting"

I like it!
I'm afraid to put my thoughts, though, because I don't want you to take them the wrong way. I think I'll just tell you in class.
Keep writing, Alex.