June 23, 2009

COTW!

Welcome to Resort…Er, I mean CAMP-of-the-WOODS. This is where I am going to be spending the next nine weeks of my life. So far I have rather mixed emotions about the place. It is called Camp-of-the-Woods, but in reality there is nothing that "camp-ish" about it. I am living in a dorm room (much nicer than any rooms at Grove City) with 2 other girls. We have our own bathroom, spacious closets, and an amazing common room downstairs. I must admit that we are a bit spoiled. These accommodations are great, but I am having trouble coming up with a reason for their necessity. The schedule that I am following so far gives me very little time to enjoy such amenities. I am so tired at the end of the day that I could be sleeping in a tent in the middle of the woods every night and I would be content. So to make matters worse, because our rooms are so nice they are militant about keeping them clean. I actually think they do room checks more often than the actual military. Every single morning our rooms get inspected. All beds must be made, floors cleaned and vacuumed, beds made, nothing is allowed on any counters or surfaces that is not a shelf, and I could keep going. When am I going to find time to clean? Well, at 10:00pm of course. After a day of working from 7:15 in the morning to 5:30, then dinner, then a mandatory group "fun" activity, I am ready for bed at 9:00 when they finally take the shackles off our feet. Okay, so I may be a little over dramatic because it isn't terrible but right now I am so exhausted that all I want to do is collapse. Which is exactly what I am going to do. My roommate just got out of the shower and so I am going to take one and crash. I will finish this post later.

Alright I am going to try and finish this up before I fall asleep. This post has been written over the course of two days by the way. I started it last night (Monday) and it is now Tuesday night. Today I am feeling much better about all of the work that we have to do than yesterday. It is really the people that have made it fun and completely worthwhile. Today as part of our "training" the entire rec staff was required to do the zip line. For those of you that do not know what that is, it is a wire 40 feet up in the air that you zoom across. The scariest part is climbing all the way up the tree and getting yourself onto the platform. Once I was up there I was more or less fine. Jumping off was a bit daunting, but completely worthwhile. One of the greatest parts was encouraging each other, especially those that were terrified, to jump. We all did it! All 18 (I think.) of us on the recreation staff. Tomorrow is going to be a crazy day because we have a carnival that we are running for the entire town of Speculator, not that it is very big, and the rest of the COTW staff. Unfortunately this does mean that we are required to work until at least 9:00 tomorrow night with no breaks in between except for lunch and dinner. In all seriousness, I do not think that I have ever worked so hard in my life. What makes it all worth it is the fun that we have been having after 6:30pm. The girls have been getting together to do Zumba, an amazing dance workout and 8 minute abs. I am going to be in the best shape of my life at the end of this summer.

I know that I have so much more I want to write about but I am so tired I need to get some sleep. My alarm goes off much earlier than I would like it too. I hope to find the energy to get a good post in eventually, but right now I can hardly think straight. Hope you have enjoyed!

No comments: