March 22, 2009

A Tiny Car With A Narrow Beam

Holy smokes where has the time gone?! Middle of fall semester last post, middle of spring semester this post, next it will be what...middle-aged post?
So college, good old Grove City College. If you would have asked me this time last year if happiness could ever be attained here, if I would look back in 15 years and recall these years with a smile upon my face and a look of longing in my eyes, I might have laughed at you. Twelve months later however, I can say that just maybe that question will be answered with a bit of a smirk. It has never ceased to amaze me how much things can change in such a short amount time. How a few good times can generally (depending on the severity) cover up the bad.
The amount that I have learned this year is astounding. I feel like a completely different person than I was last year. God has been good. I have finally (finally) found some people on this campus who light up my world and make Grove City a bearable, no more than bearable, place to be. In some ways they fit the Grover model and in many other ways they don't, if you haven't already figured it out, it is those anti-Grover qualities that attract me to them. I now have a group of friends who are all different and bring a multitude of personalities to the table. I-love-it.
Academics you ask? That is an entirely different can of worms. This place will be the death of me. I think that God has really taken my school work and my attitude towards academics and just shattered it on the floor. And then when I thought it could not get any worse, that I thought maybe I could start picking up the pieces, He hid them! What is the deal? The deal is that He has been teaching me that:
MY GRADES DO NOT DEFINE ME.
I am not defined my the amount of A's and B's on my report card, by whether or not I make the Dean's list, or if I beat the class average on the latest test. So what if I get a C or even a D? I say, let's stick it to the man. In high school my success in school really shaped and defined who I was at that stage in life. Right now though, I don't really know who I am or where I am headed. I feel like a car driving in the dark with broken high-beams. I know there is more out there, that I should be able to see more, but I can only see so far. I can only see what is almost directly ahead of me. So this year has been about trust. Trusting God that He is going to lead me and trusting Him enough to know that He is not leading me astray.
Well since I am just sort of rambling now I guess I will end this baby right here. Maybe tomorrow, or the next time I write, I will talk about all the blessings God has bestowed upon me these past few months. And boy are they numerous!

No comments: