March 23, 2009

An Astonishing Love Affair

So last night as I got into bed with thoughts of blogging churning in my head, I began to think. Usually before drifting off into the abyss of the night I mumble a few prayers, remembering the requests that came to my attention throughout my day. And then I began to think about the last time that I truly had a one-on-one, mano-y-mano, experience with God. More than just praying over a meal, after devotions, during Bible study, or before bed. I am talking about setting aside time to just fall onto my knees and pray. Often times everything else can become monotonous, something you become accustomed to doing every day. Not that these aren't excellent things, but personally I like spontaneity. I think God appreciates our spontaneous acts of love. If we are honest with ourselves, is it not the unexpected acts of kindness that people do for us that mean the most? Now that I am really thinking about all of this, how can we love God spontaneously? How can we live a life filled with love for God, one that does not grow old or routine? I do not think that I can answer my own question. This week I will make that my task, find ways to love unexpectedly.

Idea! (Or thought...Whichever way you prefer to look at it.)


Galatians 5:6 says that true faith "worketh by love." Loving others,
out of faith, is one way in which we can show our love for God. I would argue that this is one of the best ways to love spontaneously! Even when we don't want to love (which is often), remembering that as Christians we are called to do so and keeping Christ
at the center of these actions is one sure-fire way to love him.

Tonight, and I believe for the next week, my heart will be in Africa. I received an e-mail through Nate's mom, from Nate, that he made it to Africa safely. I could tell already, just from those few sentences I got to read that this experience will change him like nothing before. He mentioned how poor everyone was there, that it does not even compare to some of the poorest of places here. I do not think that we realize how good we really have it. If I am ever to go on a missions trip to Africa or some other third-world country I think that upon my return home I will be tempted to sell everything and live the simplest life possible. I am contemplating the ways I can cut back on everything now and I am not experiencing any of this! It just breaks my heart because I can see him playing with these kids and getting attached to them, and then having to leave them at the end of the week knowing that he is headed back to a completely different world. It almost makes me wonder, how could you just go back to living your life the same any more?

I guess tonight's post was filled with some pretty deep thoughts. Just wanted to give everyone a little something to chew on.

1 comment: